· Break down a full pork carcass into forms ready for cooking using a variety of actions, including boning, tying, grinding, cutting and trimming.
· Weigh, label and price a variety of cuts of meat in an efficient manner that focuses on making the final product attractive to the customer.
· Keeping accurate track of temperature, weights of controlled and non-controlled ingredients and other information in compliance with HACCP plans.
· Following guideline provided by multiple SOP, Sanitization SOP and HACCP plans.
· Maintain clean, sanitized and functioning the meat preparation areas and equipment to reduce the risk of food contamination and in adherence with food safety guidelines.
· Assess and inspect quality of meat of carcasses and selecting the meat for production.
· Operate sharp equipment for cutting, grinding and packaging that can cause severe injuries if not operated correctly.
· Use skewers, bone knives, twine and other tools to lace, tie and shape roasts, salame, prosciutto etc.
· Carefully weighing and keeping records of spices, salts and other restricted and non-restricted ingredients according to specified recipes,
· Evaluating relevant information to develop time efficient workflow to achieve set goals and reduce operation time.
Job Skills & Qualifications
· Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
· Knowledge of food safety
· 2 years of experience in the work force (the area does not matter)
· 3 excellent recommendations from prior employers
· High School degree or equivalent
· Experience in whole animal butchery
· Good mechanical skills
send your letter of interest and resume to email@example.com
8 hr/day 2 days per week with potential for full time after completing a trial period
$13-$15/hr depending on experience.
Join us in our mission to preserve old Italian traditions for curing and preserving meat (charcuterie). You will become the curator for the charcuteries of several farms that belong to the Vermont Farm Coalition. The farms are committed to producing a high quality meat that is born, pastured and processed in Vermont using practices that are sensitive to animal welfare and the preservation of natural resources. The right team player will have the opportunity to learn century old traditions for making salame, prosciutto and more, while utilizing modern technology imported from Italy. Alessandra will train you and supervise you in all steps, from the proper way to cut and analyze the quality of a carcass, to how select the highest quality meat and fat and how to balance temperature and humidity to create a top quality product. Our products are sold at the best specialty stores in Massachusetts and Vermont and soon will be in New York. Our company does not only make high quality cured meat, we are creating a map of Vermont flavors. Each of our farms provides us with a unique product with a unique taste profile linked to the pasture and the breed of pigs they raise. You do not need a vast knowledge of meat cutting, as long as you show passion for learning and a desire to become an expert in this unique art. Inquire only if you feel that working in a meat processing facility is what you are looking for. Making high quality charcuterie requires attention to details even in situations when there are repetitive tasks. A meat cutter works on his feet the whole day and meat cutting is a physically demanding job. A special care and attention to cleanliness and good sanitation practices are an essential part of the job. This position has exciting potential for growth and provides you with the opportunity to have an important impact on the food system in Vermont, but only if you are a highly motivated, conscientious and hardworking individual.